Spring is so nearly here! The season for fresh and light dishes, crisp mornings, and walks in the park. Asparagus season in the UK traditionally lasts from April to June – short but sweet. One of the easiest ways to eat sustainably is to shop locally and in season, as imported fruits and vegetables have a much higher carbon footprint. This recipe is great as a side dish or in a mezze or a salad.
- 500g fresh asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small shallot- finely sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1.5 tablespoon lemon zest (divided)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Optional: grated parmesan or pecorino cheese, toasted pine nuts( or other nut)
- Pre heat oven to 200C
- Toss trimmed asparagus with olive oil, garlic, shallot, lemon zest, salt & pepper. Lay out in a single layer on a foil or parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Roast until just tender, about 20 minutes (check earlier for extra thin ones), depending on size and thickness.
- Once tender, place in a serving dish and finish with a little squeeze of lemon juice, more lemon zest and optional Romano cheese. Add toasted pine nuts if you like.
Let us know in the comments what you think of this recipe!