Poutine. If you haven’t tried if before, it’s essentially a classier Canadian version of England’s famous chips, cheese and gravy. This version has a lot less fat as we have replaced deep fried French fries with baked parsnip fries, and we are using vegan mushroom gravy, which has much less saturated fat than traditional meat gravy. If you are vegan, you can make this recipe without the mozzarella, or replace it with vegan cheese 🙂
- 3-5 parsnips
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small shallot minced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper (more to taste)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp cornstarch diluted in 1 tbsp water
- 1 Mozzarella, reduced fat if you like
- Preheat oven to 230°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Wash the parsnips and cut each one in half lengthwise. Slice each half into about 4 long strips, depending on the size of your parsnips. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle with oil and add the rosemary, salt, and ground black pepper. Toss with your hands to coat the fries. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring once halfway through baking.
- In the meantime, prepare the mushroom gravy. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the minced shallot and garlic, and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender. Next, deglaze the skillet with the soy sauce and cook for one more minute.
- Add the nutritional yeast, thyme, ground black pepper, water, and almond milk. Let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Dilute the cornstarch in a tablespoon of water and add to the pan. Cook for one more minute, stirring regularly, until the gravy has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Transfer the baked parsnip fries to a plate and top with the mushroom gravy, reserving a little. Pull your mozzarella apart into small pieces and scatter over the parsnips. Pour the rest of the hot gravy over the mozzarella to melt it a little. Serve hot with chopped coriander or chives to garnish!
Let us know in the comments what you think of this recipe! ^_^