This breakfast can be prepped the night before and popped in the oven as soon as you wake up! It takes 45-50 minutes to cook so it will be ready by the time you’ve showered, dressed and beautified 😉 If you aren’t vegetarian, you can add sustainably sourced bacon or ham, although this recipe is perfect as is, using vegetarian/vegan sausages! This recipe is a fantastic Easter breakfast! You can chuck in whatever veggies you have leftover in the fridge too – this recipe is just a guideline! Some asparagus, broccoli or cherry tomatoes would be lovely in this recipe too.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g vegan of vegetarian sausages
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup milk (half and half or heavy cream)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or thickened cream)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to season
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded white Chedd
- 800g potato, shredded with the largest size holes on your grater
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Chives, 1 bunch, roughly/finely chopped (optional)
- Soak your shredded potato in cold water for 5 minutes. Rinse the soaked shredded potato in a fine mesh sieve/colander under cold running water until the water runs clear. Squeeze all of the water out with a tea towel allow to air dry on a baking tray or baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Lightly grease an 8×12-inch (or whatever you have) baking dish with nonstick oil spray.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until crispy or browned, around 6-8 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pan and cut into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- Add the onions and peppers to the pan and cook until soft, around 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream and garlic powder. Season generously with salt and pepper. Mix in the sausage pieces with onions, chives, tomatoes, peppers and cheddar cheese.
- Add a layer of shredded potato to the base of the dish. Pour the egg mixture over the hash browns and top with the mozzarella. Bake until eggs are cooked through (about 45 to 50 minutes).
- Serve alone, with hollandaise sauce, with tomato sauce, or with my favorite – siracha! Garnish with chopped chives if you have any left, and maybe some chili flakes for a splash of colour.
Note – If you’re going to prep this meal the night before, it is recommended that you leave the mixture to warm to room temperature before you put it in the oven, so that you get an even bake 🙂